Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Nickelback sound is officially dead

Thank you hybrid group Velvet Revolver! Thank you for beating out Nickelback at the Grammy's for (whatever the fuck the category is called - "hard rock" I think). Guitar solos are back! Thank you Slash. Roosters are back. Thank you Scott! And now that VR is coming to town, this only solidfies what I already described that the Theory of a Nickelfault/Chad Kroeger sound was dead as soon as it peaked.

REAL rock and roll, where guitar solos and riffs are abound, drumming is meaningful, bass playing that doesn't just follow the root note, and singers who can actually sing and walk the cock on the block, have returned. I mean, I think Chad seriously ran out of songs to compose in that dull four chord style. The only reason he tuned down to C, C#, or D is so he could hit certain notes in his singing, which sounded like the grinding of my old 100MB hard drive. "I like your pants around your feet"? What genius!

What's ironic is that the true rockers from the early 90's had to come back and show 'em how it's done. Rock on!

2 comments:

metasexual said...

Nicely said my friend. While GNR had its low points, "Appetite for Destruction" was my first tape with a parent advisory sticker on it. My parents were very liberal considering I was 10 years old at the time. I am sick of Nickleback and also enjoy that Velvet Relover beat them out. Ha ha.

Hatrock said...

I really shouldn't use "Hybrid group". The proper term is "Supergroup". Same goes for Audioslave and Thornley.