Sunday, February 13, 2005

A Feline Legacy Comes To An End

I write this today, to reflect on an old friend. Today, I took my cat, Polo, to the emergency vet and had him put down to end his suffering. Born in October 1983, I got him as a Christmas present that year from my dad who got him from one of his best friends (also my dentist). Older than some of you reading this, he died peacefully on February 13, 2005. So that made him over 21 years old! He was a part of two-thirds of my life and I will miss him dearly. Sadly, he suffered from a kidney failure, and for the past several days, did not want to eat or drink water. He was ready to go. But cats are very proud animals and do not like themselves being seen unclean or suffering. I knew he was ready but kept hanging on for my benefit. May God embrace his little kitty soul.

I will miss him meowing at 6:00am for two hours to get fed when I woke up at 8. Most especially I will miss him sitting next to me on the couch watching TV together while I petted his itchy head. Most of you reading this met him at some point, knew he was a very handsome grey short haired cat with perfect white markings on his face, underside, and paws.

My dad wanted to put him down a year ago, due to his uncontrollable urinary problems, but I refused, and defended his life, as I felt he had about another year left in his spirit. When the west end flood happened in July 2004, I took him to a kitty lodge for four days while I found a new place to live. We moved into my new downtown apartment and he settled in quite well for being an old man. The building actually didn't allow pets, but I received their sympathy when I told them of my dire situation. I was grateful for that.

Granted, he's pretty much peed everywhere, I had to change my sheets several times and now I have to steam clean the carpets -- whole kit and kaboodle (pun intended).

So was it worth it to continue his life for another 7 months after the flood? You bet. I have no regrets about that. Sleeping in a bed with a cat is very peaceful - the purring is scientifically proven medicine. Like a true rockstar, he's been deaf for the last couple of years. His fur was always soft and he wasn't overly friendly, didn't like children much, but loved his head scratched. He hated being picked up like a baby, but loved it when you brushed him.

In 1988, we got another kitten, and I named him Hugo. He was, without a doubt, the greatest pet ever. Sadly, my dad had to put him down ten years later as he suffered from a liver disease. Polo, however, didn't like this new kid on the block, and Hugo, in a friendly way, would play with Polo who was never in the mood for such nonsense. They fought a lot, but Polo still had his claws. So when Hugo got in battle situations with other cats in the neighbourhood, Polo watched to see if declawed Hugo could defend himself. You see, Hugo ate a plant when he was a kitten and after that, could barely meow, a defence necessary in the cat heirarchy. So Polo would jump in, and this took place on the fence usually, and he'd bellow out his best stuff toward the offending cat, who'd quickly be intimidated, and run off. So Hugo adored Polo, but that same love was not reciprocal - or was it?

I remember one day back in 1991 when I came home from school to find a dead rabbit on the front porch. Polo sat there very proud that he killed this animal, guts wide open, and shockingly, a fetus lying there. Well, he was certainly punished for that and never did it again.

But what a great and long life he lived - any human would love it. In cat years, he was about 101! He was fed everyday, stayed healthy, lived in four houses, defended the old neighbourhood and protected one of his friends for ten years. I thought I should give him that same courtesy and protect him.

Am I thinking of getting another cat? Yes. But for now, I lament in melancholy, reflecting, remembering all the great and peaceful times we had together. You see, I believe all living things are connected by a powerful living energy that we transfer between us - plants, animals, nature, and humans. We all depend on each other for our growth, our life, and evolution. When one of these beings gives you unconditional love for 21 years, you can't help but feel a loss in your heart. But as long as you never forget, they never die, and for Polo, his courageous spirit will live on.

2 comments:

metasexual said...

That's sad. My best wishes. I hate losing pets and you've written some great stories here.

Anonymous said...

Hey - belated condolences. There is no soul like that of a cat - ask any ancient Egyptians and they'll agree. Polo's spirit will linger on - let's just hope the cat urine smell in your apartment doesn't!